If you love good food or are interested in learning about the traditional, unique delicacies of the island, you don’t want to miss out a taste of those renowned dishes and products during your stay in the island:
- “Sfouggato”: scrambled eggs with potatoes or zucchini.
- Stuffed “birds” (“poulia gemista”): zucchini flowers stuffed with rice.
- Tomato balls or “pseftokeftedes” (veggie fritters): made with chard, mint, spearmint, tomatoes, zucchini and other greens in batter.
- Marinated fish: fried fish (horse-mackerel or bogue) with vinegar and rosemary.
- Garlic pasta (“skordomakarona”): thick pasta with fresh tomato.
- Raw haddock (“bakaliaros xelouristos”) cut in small pieces, usually served with tomato salad.
- Roasted small fish (“psarolia”): the fish are left to dry out under the sun for several days. They are considered a great snack to serve with wine and are usually enjoyed in wintertime.
- “Kopania”: barley bread rolls with raisins.
- “Koufeto”: boiled honey with roasted almonds. Customarily served at weddings or shop openings.
- “Santorini pudding”: sweet desert made with semolina and milk.